All over the world, people have been talking about the benefits of using hand sanitizer. However, many people are still asking the question: ‘when should I use hand sanitizer?’. The answer varies from person to person, depending on their work, activities, and lifestyle.
Germs are all around us. Every hand shake, press of an elevator button, and touch of a keyboard could spread bacteria, viruses, and diseases. Being able to keep your hands clean quickly and efficiently greatly reduces the risk of contamination.
That’s where hand sanitizer comes in. Using hand sanitizer is a quick way to kill 99.9% of harmful bacteria and is especially useful when you’re on the go or going from task to task.
You should use hand sanitizer when you’ve touched a surface that could be contaminated by harmful bacteria and run the risk of spreading that bacteria to other surfaces (including people!). If you're wondering when to use hand sanitizer, below are some of the most important times for cleaning your hands:
- After using the bathroom or changing a diaper
- After touching animals
- Before you eat
- Before and after going into a public place such as a restaurant or gym
- After coughing or sneezing into your hands
- After touching your nose, mouth, or eyes
- Before and after treating a wound
If you’re a business owner, providing hand sanitizer options at your place of work for the hand hygiene of employees, customers, and clients is really important. This alarming article by HuffPost claims that only 66% of Americans wash their hands (!). That’s a pretty scary statistic.
Easy access to a hand sanitizer station makes it more likely that people who enter your building will keep their hands clean, reducing the risk of spreading diseases and viruses around your vicinity.
The other question that is often asked alongside when to use hand sanitizer is ‘how do I use hand sanitizer?’. Using hand sanitizer is really simple, but there are a few things to keep in mind. To make sure you’re getting the most out of your hand sanitizer, here are some pointers:
- Use hand sanitizers that are made of at least 60% alcohol.
- Make sure you’re using enough product. The World Health Organization (WHO) recommends that you use a palm sized amount of hand sanitizer into the palm of one hand each time you apply it. That should be enough to coat both of your hands.
- Rub your hands until they’re completely dry.
- Keep your eye on the expiration date. While hand sanitizer has a long shelf life, it does have a shelf life. Don’t use hand sanitizer past its expiration date.
- Never touch your face with your hands before the sanitizer is completely dry so you get it into your eyes, mouth, or nose.
Everyone has their ‘thing’ and, at On-The-Spot, ours is luxury hand sanitizer. That’s why we started the hand sanitizer revolution!
We’re passionate about creating the best quality alcohol-based hand sanitizers for businesses and individuals. And the best bit? In the scents Original, Lavender, Citrus, and White Tea, they smell so good that you’ll actually want to use them - not just have to.
Click here to see our range of scented hand sanitizers, buy-in-bulk hand sanitizers, and hand sanitizer dispensers.